½ Cup Buttermilk
Zest of 1 lime
1 Cup Flour
½ Cup Cornflour
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
Vegetable or canola oil
½ Cup Japanese Mayo
1 zest and juice of a lime
2 TBSP sriracha
Pickled red onion
1 red onion finely sliced
½ Cup apple cider vinegar
1 tsp sugar
12 pack of frozen bao buns (these can be found in the frozen section of your local Asian grocery)
Spring onion, chopped
- Heat a saucepan filled with canola or vegetable oil over medium heat.
- To make the pickled red onion, combine the finely sliced red onion, vinegar and sugar and set aside.
- Combine the buttermilk, egg and zest of a lime. Chop the chicken into medium-sized pieces (so will fit in a bao bun) and place the chicken in the buttermilk mixture.
- In another bowl combine flour, cornflour, garlic powder, paprika, salt and lime zest. Stir to combine. Dip the chicken into the flour mix and fully cover the chicken then place in the hot oil. Cook in the oil until the chicken is really golden on the outside. Remove chicken from the hot oil and place on a paper towel. Repeat until all the chicken has been cooked.
- To make the mayonnaise, combine the kewpie, sriracha and lime.
- Steam the bao buns according to the packet.
- Fill your buns with a piece of fried chicken, a dollop of sriracha mayo, coriander, spring onion and the pickled red onions.