Half Split Chicken
HERB & GARLIC ROASTED HALF CHICKEN;
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. Combine and stir the rosemary, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, cayenne, Dijon mustard, and salt and pepper to taste, in a small bowl.
3. Rub combined paste all over the chicken and let marinate at room temperature for 1 hour.
4. Lightly coat a large cast iron skillet or pan with olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. Then oil the bottom of a second cast iron skillet, of equal or smaller size.
5. Put the chicken, skin side down, in first pan, and top it with the second pan, oiled-side down on top of the chicken. Sear chicken until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
6. Remove top skillet, flip the chicken and transfer to the oven. Cook until chicken is cooked through, about 35 minutes.
4 teaspoons fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped
fresh lemon zest (from 1 lemon)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
3 garlic cloves, minced
1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 -2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
1 chicken, 3 to 4 pounds, skin-on, backbone removed and halved