500 grams “The Meat Box” Chicken Breast Boneless/ Skinless
½ cup of flour
2–3 cups of panko breadcrumbs
2 cups of short/medium-grain rice
oil for frying
finely sliced cabbage
pickled ginger (optional)
- Cut the chicken into strips – approximately 6 per breast.
- Put the flour into a plastic bag, season with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken in the bag and shake to coat.
- Take two bowls, crack the eggs into one and whisk to combine. Place the panko breadcrumbs into the other.
- Shake the excess flour off the chicken, coat in egg, then in the breadcrumbs, pushing the breadcrumbs on and slightly flattening the strips.
- Place on a plate and then pop into the fridge while preparing the other components of the meal.
- To cook the rice you can either use this method or if you have a rice cooker, follow the cooker’s instructions. Place the rice in a sieve and rinse under the cold-water tap to remove the starch. In a medium pot (that has a tight-fitting lid) add the rice and 2 cups of water, turn the heat up high and bring to the boil uncovered. As soon as it boils, reduce the heat to the lowest point and cover the pot with the lid and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let it sit for another 10 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, take a frying pan, add the oil and cook the chicken pieces in batches. Drain on absorbent paper towels and keep warm in the oven on a low heat.
- Divide the rice across 4 bowls, drizzle the rice with kecap manis, cut the chicken cutlets into chunks and again divide across the bowls.
- Take clumps of the cabbage and carrot and add to the side of chicken. Again drizzle kecap manis over the chicken and add a dollop of mayonnaise on the side. Sprinkle sesame seeds over the top.