1 1/2T butter
1 1/2T flour
Pinch of salt
2 bagels (we used jalapeños and cheese)
150g gruyere cheese, 100g in slices and 50g grated
100g leftover ham
4t dijon mustard
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan bake and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Heat the cream and milk in a saucepan over a medium heat until steaming but not boiling. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in another small saucepan and set to a low heat. Add the flour and cook for 2-3 minutes before the butter browns.
- Continuously stir as you slowly drizzle in half of the milk. Add in the remaining milk and salt and pepper. Whisk for 30 seconds or until it reaches a buttery consistency.
- Spread half of the sauce between the tops and bases of the bagels on the inside. Top the bagel bases with half of the gruyere slices and spread the mustard over the cheese. Add the ham then top with the remaining gruyere slices. Add the top of the bagels and slather the remaining bechamel sauce on top of the lids.
- Place the bagels onto the prepared tray and sprinkle with the grated gruyere. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until bubbling and golden.