1c brown sugar
1/4c apple cider vinegar
2t dijon mustard
Half champagne ham
- Preheat the oven to 180°C .
- Place the sugar, bourbon, honey, apple cider vinegar and mustard in small saucepan and stir constantly until it reaches boiling point. Set aside.
- With a small sharp knife, cut a slit around the ham shank. Gently cut two slits down the length of the ham on either side. Run the knife carefully under the skin around the edge of the ham, then use your fingers to carefully separate the skin from the fat. Discard the fat.
- Score the fat into diamonds, ensuring you don’t cut into the meat. Push a clove into the centre of each diamond. Coat the fat in a layer of glaze with a brush.
- Place the ham on a rack in a large roasting dish. Roast in the oven, basting every 20 minutes for 1 hour and 20 minutes, or longer if not yet caramelized.
- Store excess in a ham bag or pillowcase to make it last.