1 onion, finely chopped
1 medium carrot, finely chopped
1 celery stick, finely chopped
500g beef mince (leave at room temp for 30 minutes before starting)
2 garlic cloves, minced
2T soy sauce
1T bbq sauce
1T tomato paste
1 1/4c chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste
4 sheets of pre-rolled butter puff pastry
4 slices of aged cheddar
1 egg, beaten
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and add the onion, carrot and celery with a pinch of salt and sauté until soft and starting to brown.
- Add the mince and garlic and cook until the mince is separated and just brown.
- Add the soy sauce, bbq sauce, tomato paste and mustard and sprinkle with the flour. Mix and cook for a few minutes before adding the stock. Season then cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has almost completely reduced. Allow to cool completely.
- Lightly oil 4 pie tins. Cut rounds from the pastry for the base and lid.
- Place the bases into each tin and distribute the mince between each tin. Place cheese slices onto the mince. Brush the edges of the bases before placing on the lids.
- Press the lids down at the edges to seal and brush the lids with the egg. Cut two slits in the lids.
- Cook the pies for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Rest for a few minutes before serving.