1/4t cayenne pepper
1/2T dried oregano
1t ground all spice powder
1t garlic powder
1/2t coriander powder
1/2t salt and pepper , each
1 - 2T olive oil
500g beef brisket- casserole diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 onion, diced
100ml orange juice
1T lime juice
1/3 400g can crushed tomatoes
1c beef stock
Salt and pepper to taste
Cherry tomatoes, chopped
- Combine the run ingredients in a bowl. Coat the beef in the rub mixture.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy based pot over high heat. Add the beef in 2 batches and brown well on all sides. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce to a medium heat. Add more oil if necessary.
- Add the garlic and onion and cook for 3 minutes until soft.
- Add the orange and lime juice, and scrape the bottom of the pot so the browned bits mix into the liquid.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, stock and water. Mix, then return beef to the pot.
- Put the lid on, bring to a simmer then turn the stove down so it is simmering gently.
- Cook for 2 hours, then remove lid and simmer for another 20 minutes until beef is tender enough to shred.
- Remove the beef from sauce, shred with 2 forks.
- Leave the sauce to simmer with the lid off for 10 to 15 minutes to reduce and thicken. Return the beef and season to taste.
- Warm the tortillas and serve with the beef and other suggested toppings.